I am not articulate enough to write what fills my heart when I think of my Daddy.
I have so many wonderful memories of daddy. Memories that are unique for my Daddy. Memories that only my sisters and I would have. I don't think many children would have their daddy lasso them as they ran by. Not many would watch their daddy crack a bullwhip.
Daddy would call me over after he sharpened his pocketknife to carefully shave off some of my arm hair. Daddy would take us to the cattle auction and tell us to not move our arms or else we would have to buy a cow.
I am so thankful Daddy taught me to fish. He first took me to the phosphate pits and gave me a cane pole with a bobber. I caught bluegills while he fished for bass. One day he cast his lure and it caught me in the back of the neck. I remember that afternoon! I have so many memories of fishing over the years. I especially loved fishing at Uncle Jimmy's camp on the river.
That brings up that Daddy taught me about camping and nature. From a very young age, I remember Daddy teaching me about plants, trees, birds, animals. We went camping every Thanksgiving weekend on the bombing range at the start of deer season. My sisters and I were always on the lookout for parachutes and wreckage we could look over and scavenge.
Daddy taught me how to identify animal tracks...he tried to teach me how to use a turkey caller. He taught me how to shoot and I watched him clean his guns. Daddy sitting and cleaning his guns always seemed like a peaceful time.
When Daddy taught me about plants he gave me a great gift. I enjoy my garden so much and it is because he taught me how to garden. Daddy's gardens and plants have always been so beautiful. Speaking of gardens...We would go to gardens like Cypress Gardens around Tampa. Daddy would tell Mama to bring a big purse. He would break off pieces of plants to start back home and put them in Mama's purse. Mama must have had some dirty purses.
Daddy taught me how to drive. Thankfully, we lived in an area where there wasn't much traffic. He was very patient and after going through the experience of Rachel learning to drive, I know how stressful a child driving can be. I still don't like to be in the car with Rachel, but Daddy never seemed to mind.
Both Mama and Daddy taught me to be handy around the house, but Daddy really taught me to not be intimidated by hammers, nails, screwdriver and power tools. Because of Daddy, I can re-wire my lamps.
Daddy is very handsome. I have always thought he looks like Randolph Scott. I enjoy Randolph Scott movies because he usually plays cowboys and I always think of Daddy.
I have been so blessed to have Daddy in my life. I have missed so much by living so far away from my parents, but what Daddy helped instill in my during my childhood has guided me through life. God gave me the right Daddy for me.
I love you, Daddy.
Carol
No comments:
Post a Comment